Codenamed: Canis Mahoris, The Witcher is back from the dead! The iconic fantasy role-playing game is getting a massive overhaul in the form of a full-scale remake, and fans couldn’t be more excited.
This is not just a quick update with a few graphical improvements; The Witcher Remake is being rebuilt from the ground up. From the captivating plot and combat mechanics to gameplay visuals and the level of role-playing, everything is getting a big overhaul. Although the decades-old RPG game was a cult classic, it was not without its flaws. Nevertheless, thanks to its over-the-top gameplay and addicting plot, fans were more than willing to overlook what little issues it had. However, the developers had been mindful of it.
As such, The Witcher Remake is going to feature a completely new game engine, upgraded graphics, improved animations, as well as a fresh take on the game’s iconic storyline that will keep fans on their toes!
News on The Witcher Remake
As per their official website, “We are thrilled to announce that The Witcher Remake is being worked on! That’s right, the game that started it all is being rebuilt from the ground up in Unreal Engine 5.
The game is currently in the early stages of development at the Polish studio Fool’s Theory, where veteran Witcher series staff are involved. We, as CD PROJEKT RED, are providing full creative supervision.”
So, what’s confirmed by the developers, for now, is that the game is being made using Epic Game’s latest game development software: Unreal Engine 5.
Now, given the likes of Forspoken and Callisto Protocol (in terms of gameplay visuals) that are made on Unreal Engine 5, we can say for sure that The Witcher remake will be one hell of a remastered version!
And why is that? The Witcher franchise is notorious for incorporating a jaw-dropping storyline into their games. And when this rich lore seamlessly integrates with over-the-top visuals, the final product will be nothing less of a legend!
Also, don’t let the name of the Polish Studio, “Fool’s Theory”, fool you into doubting its capabilities. It is a game development studio full of creative and experienced developers.
As far as the release date is considered, there is not even a slight breeze about it. Therefore, fans of The Witcher have a great deal of time to wait until we get some news about the launch date. According to the speculations on the internet, it is safely assumed that The Witcher remake will launch somewhere in 2026.
As per Adam Badowski, Head of Studio, CD Projekt Red: “Collaborating with Fool’s Theory on the project is just as exciting, as some of the people there have been previously involved in The Witcher games. They know the source material well, they know how much gamers have been looking forward to seeing the remake happen, and they know how to make incredible and ambitious games. And although it will take some time before we’re ready to share more about and from the game, I know it’ll be worth the wait.”
Despite all this, we do know the end result though. The remastered version will be a “story-driven, single-player open-world RPG – a modern reimagining of 2007’s The Witcher.”
About The Witcher (2007 Video Game)
Since we are discussing The Witcher remake, it is worth sparing a minute or two and looking into what this iconic game was all about.
The Witcher is a 2007 cult classic RPG video game developed by CD PROJEKT RED. First launched on October 26, 2007, The Witcher went on to become a commercial success. Being a semi-open world, the game amassed a stellar 81/100 score on Metacritic. So much so was the success that the game eventually spawned two sequels, both of which also proved to be super-hit.
In The Witcher, players assume the role of a charismatic monster hunter, Geralt of Rivia. The game starts when Geralt wakes up at the School of Wolf’s mountain fortress in Kaer Morhen. Having seemingly lost his memory, the ensuing events take a turn for the worst as the fortress is attacked by some unknown assailants. Moreover, they also manage to escape with the School of Wolf’s key mutagens and formulae that detail how to create Witchers.
Now, in order not to let the mutagens fall into the wrong hands, players set out on an epic adventure. Along the way, they encounter many NPCs as well as fight against numerous monsters.
What lies ahead remains unique for each player since there are 3 possible endings based on a player’s decisions in the game!
New Changes We Want in The Witcher Remake
As mentioned earlier, The Witcher had not been without its flaws. And since we don’t have much in hand related to The Witcher remake, here are a couple of changes/suggestions we want in the remastered version:
- Though the open-world idea is appealing, fans would be more delighted if The Witcher remakes sticks to its original style all the while improving on it. We wish to see a stronger theming in each gameplay chapter as well as the whole chapter to be seamlessly loaded all at once.
- Fewer sex portraits since the original game is plagued with this problem. To make Geralt sleep with every woman he can and unlock a mostly nude portrait to carry around seems wrong for all the good reasons.
- While The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt showcases some of the best writing, acting, dialogues, and side quests, the original Witcher game sucked at it. We wish to see a better effort in each aforementioned field to render an even more immersive gameplay experience.
- We also wish for detailed monster-hunting contracts since these are nothing but simple fetch quests in the original game. Monster hunting is a core mechanic surrounding Witchers, therefore, such an improvement would be tremendously welcomed by the players and fans alike.
- The original Witcher game is old now, so much so we can also call it outdated. And the same can be said for its crafting as well as combat mechanics. Therefore, a complete overhaul is much needed here.
- Lastly, since the Witcher games give a great deal of role-playing to gamers, we wish for deeper consequences for choices players will make in the remastered version. The second and third installments in the franchise already outshine here. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the original Witcher game.
The developers of The Witcher remake have promised that every aspect of the game will be scrutinized and reworked. And with the level of attention and care that the developers are pouring into this project, fans are also expecting nothing less than a masterpiece.
It doesn’t matter whether you are a longtime fan of the franchise or a newcomer just discovering the world of The Witcher, this remastered version is guaranteed to be a one-of-a-kind experience! What do you think? Share your thoughts with us and let us know in the comments below.